Monday, February 8, 2010

After-School

This semester I am taking my practicum. For my major we have the choice of either working at the BYUI preschool or at an after-school program at the elementary school in town. I decided to work at the after-school program because I think I get a long better with older children. Maybe I should be saying that I don't want to pull my hair out at the end of the day. And this program is a lot more relaxed than the preschool at BYUI.
Me and 3 other girls in my class are in charge of the kindergarten through 2nd graders on Monday and Wednesday's, it turned out to be about 24 students in our group and boy are they a handful! But it is really great to be able to work with them.
We started about two weeks ago on the 25th. The first day went... well... not so good. Ha! There was an assembly that day so they were more hyper than usual and we didn't really know what was going on... so it was kinda crazy! Luckily, the next few days went much much smoother. I think we are finally getting the hang of it now. It also helps that we know all of their names too!
We have been going off of the theme, "Fine Arts" and have had a bunch of fun painting, making little crafts, and even working with clay! We are also planning a field trip to BYU-Idaho next week to visit the ceramics lab and the art gallery. The kids are getting really excited!

So here are some experiences that I have had with the students so far... There's a lot more than just these, but I don't have time and I don't want to bore you with it.
We give the students about 30 minutes every day to finish their homework. During this time, a boy asked me where my homework was. I told him that I didn't have any, but then he said that I must not really be a student at BYU-Idaho because if I were, I would have homework to do. Then he said that if in college you didn't do homework then he doesn't need to do his because he is only in elementary school. I didn't even know what to say, I just laughed!
While we were waiting for some of the kids parents to come pick them up, they decided that it would be fun to try to guess each of the teachers ages (do you see where I am going with this?). Of course they go through all of the other teachers guessing 28, 35, 23, ect. Then they get to me... "uh... 17?" So sad.
kids say the darnest things...

1 comment:

Bill said...

Thanks for the update, Ali. Sounds like fun working with the kids, especially with three other students. Imagine being the only teacher or 24 kids 5 days a week for 6 hours a day! You look 17 to them--married and no homework. Such a good example!